December 30, 2012

Fearless


I think my word for 2013 is clear . . . fearless. Fear has a way of seeping down deep into your marrow. It can disguise itself and morph into the shape of something else entirely. It can appear as prudence or logical decisions. It can wrap itself in a very reasonable cloak.

It does for me sometimes. I don't realize until it's "too late" or nearly so, that what I thought was careful decision making and being reasonable was actually fear telling me to hold off, to take the easy road or to do it someday in the future.

I don't know how many somedays I have. None of us do. In 2013, I turn 37. While this may not sound so old to many, it feels "old" to me because I'm so far from the life I'd imagine I would be leading at 37. There are times, even recently, when I know I've backed away from opportunities not because it was a wise decision but because I was fearful about taking a step - a step in a new direction. Or to live out a dream.

As I inch just a tad closer to 40 this spring, I'd like to see this as the year that I throw off those fears that so quickly stop me in my tracks. I'd like to turn 40 in a few years and know that I've been living fully in the now, not waiting for some moment in the future that may never come.

Do I think I have some ideas about what I may need to be fearless about? Yes. But I'm certain there will be many moments and decision points that I am not expecting or anticipating in the next year. One thing I know for certain? Fear and faith are mutually exclusive. It's time to live it out, this faith I say I have, in a new or different way. In a way that says goodbye to fear and opens the door to the possibilities that remain hidden as long as I cling to the safety of the shore.

The photo above represents a moment in my life, to me, when I was fearless. But even still, there were many opportunities over the past two years when I was being prompted to do more, give more, believe more, dream bigger and I did not.

I'm ready now.
~

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear..." - 1 John 4:18 NASB

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control." - 2 Timothy 1:7 AMP

"I’ve picked you. I haven’t dropped you.’
Don’t panic. I’m with you.
    There’s no need to fear for I’m your God.
I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you.
    I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you." - Isaiah 41:10 The Message

"For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!”' - Romans 8:15 NASB

"Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."' 
- 1 Peter 3:13-14 NASB



1 comment:

~michelle pendergrass said...

Oh how I love this word for you!! I thought about you as mine became clear <3